Member of the Coordinating Committee of the Postgraduate Programme
Spyros Papathanasiou is currently Assistant Professor at National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Also he is Visiting Lecturer at the Hellenic Open University.
He studied economics at the University of Athens (BSc, 1995) and Banking at the Hellenic Open University (MSc, 2003). He also holds a Ph.D. in Finance from the Hellenic Open University (2009) and he has concluded Postdoctoral Research at National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (2021).
He is teaching at the postgraduate level at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in “Applied Risk Management”. Also he has taught both at the undergraduate and at the postgraduate level at the Hellenic Open University, National Technical University of Athens (School of Applied Mathematics and Natural Sciences), School of Pedagogical and Technological Education (A.S.PAITE – SELETE), Athens University of Economics and Business, National and the Kapodistrian University of Athens (“NKUA MBA”, “Applied Economics & Finance”).
He has worked at Solidus Securities (Head of Investment Strategy), Prelium Securities (Head of Investment Strategy), Value Capital Securities (Head of Analysis Department), ORIGIN Company (Head of Analysis Department), ICAP Hellas S.A (Economic Analyst) for over twenty years in total.
His research interests are in the areas of financial analysis, international stock markets, derivatives, emerging capital markets, business administration, financial management, portfolio allocation, econometrics, entrepreneurship and banking.
His research work has also been presented extensively in international academic conferences. He has served as a referee in several academic journals, and a member of editorial advisory boards of international academic journals.
He has an extensive experience in executive training and e-learning services in the areas of investments, financial derivatives, capital markets and corporate finance.
Finally, he is certified Analyst and Portfolio Manager from Hellenic Capital Market Commission and the Insurance Market from the Bank of Greece.
- Papathanasiou S., Kenourgios D., Koutsokostas D., Pergeris G. (2022). “Can treasury inflation protected securities safeguard investors from outward risk spillovers? A portfolio hedging strategy through the prism of COVID-19”, (Springer), Journal of Asset Management, https://doi.org/10.1057/s41260-022-00292-y (ABS list).
- Ghosh, B., Papathanasiou, S., and Pergeris, G. (2022). “Did cryptocurrencies exhibit log-periodic power law signature during the second wave of COVID-19?” Economic Notes, 51, 3, e12207. https://doi.org/10.1111/ecno.12207. (ABS list).
- Papathanasiou S., Dokas I., Koutsokostas D. (2022). “Value investing versus other investment strategies: A volatility spillover approach and portfolio hedging strategies for investors», The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, (Elsevier), 62, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.najef.2022.101764. (ABS list).
- Samitas A., Papathanasiou, S., Koutsokostas D., Kampouris I., (2022). “Volatility Spillovers between Fine Wine and Major Global Markets during COVID -19: A Portfolio Hedging Strategy for Investors”, International Review of Economics and Finance, (Elsevier), 78, 629-642, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2022.01.009 (ABS list).
- Samitas A., Papathanasiou, S., Koutsokostas D., Kampouris I., (2022). “Are Timber and Water Investments Safe-Havens? A Volatility Spillover Approach and Portfolio Hedging Strategies for Investors”, Finance Research Letters, (Elsevier), 47, Part A, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102657 (ABS list).
- Papathanasiou S., Koutsokostas D., Pergeris G. (2021). “Novel alternative assets within a transmission mechanism of volatility spillovers: The role of SPACs” Finance Research Letters, (Elsevier), 47, Part A, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102602. (ABS list).
- Kenourgios, D., Papathanasiou, S. & Bampili, A.C. (2021). “On the predictive power of CAPE or Shiller’s PE ratio: the case of the Greek stock market”. Operational Research Int J 22(4), pp. 3747–3766. (Springer). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12351-021-00658-x. (ABS list).
- Papathanasiou S., Vasiliou D., Magoutas A., Koutsokostas D., (2021). “Do Hedge and Merger Arbitrage Funds Actually Hedge? A Time-Varying Volatility Spillover Approach”, Finance Research Letters, (Elsevier), 44 102088, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102088 (ABS list).
- Samitas A., Papathanasiou, S., and Koutsokostas D., (2021). “The Connectedness between Sukuk and Conventional Bond Markets and the Implications for Investors” International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, (Emerald) 14, 5, 928-949. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMEFM-04-2020-0161(ABS list).
- Umar, Z., Kenourgios, D., Papathanasiou, S., (2020). “The static and dynamic connectedness of environmental, social, and governance investments: International evidence”, Economic Modelling, 93, December 2020, 112-124 (Elsevier) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2020.08.007 (ABS list).
- Koutsokostas, D., Papathanasiou, S., Balios D., (2019). “Adjusting for risk factors in mutual fund performance and performance persistence”, Journal of Risk Finance, 20, 4, pp. 352-369. (Emerald) https://doi.org/10.1108/JRF-07-2018-0108 (ABS list).
SOFOKLEOUS 1, ATHENS, 105 59, GREECE